National Epilepsy Awareness Month
November 1 – November 30 CDT
National Epilepsy Awareness Month is observed in November. During this awareness month, the Epilepsy Foundation is rolling out #StaySafeSide, a nationwide effort to highlight the importance of recognizing a seizure and promote seizure first aid.
National Epilepsy Awareness Month strives to educate about seizure first aid.
Seizure First Aid is simple – Three S’s: Stay, Safe, Side.
- STAY with the person and start timing the seizure. Remain calm and check for medical ID.
- Keep the person SAFE. Move or guide away from harmful objects.
- Turn the person onto their SIDE if they are not awake and aware. Don’t block airway, put something small and soft under the head, loosen tight clothes around neck.
- Do NOT put anything in their mouth. Don’t give water, pills or food until the person is awake.
- Do NOT restrain.
- STAY with them until they are awake and alert after the seizure. Most seizures end in a few minutes.